Baghdad, Iraq. 78rpm recording.
The Maqam Rast is a primary maqam based on the rast mode with its tonic on C and is the first of the rast suite. It is sung to classical Arabic verses without rhythmic accompaniment until the second and third meyanas where it uses two different rhythmic formulas. It includes the modulating pieces: Negriz, Mansuri, Ibrahimi, Hijaz Shaytani, Segah Balaban, Khalili, Sharqi Rast, Hijaz Madani, and Mathnawi. Al-Qubbanchi here omits the third meyana in Hijaz Madani.
- Unmeasured instrumental introduction in rast mode.
- Tahrir, unmeasured vocal introduction presenting the rast mode to the word "yar" (love, Turkish). (0:15)
- Two verses of the qasida in rast mode ending with a piece called Negriz. (1:05)
- A piece called Mansuri (saba on G) consisting of two sung verses, followed by a return to rast. (1:30)
- A piece called Ibrahimi (bayat on G) consisting of a verse ending with the command "aman, 'elet ya m'awwad, aman" (Turkish and Iraqi-Arabic) (2:30)
- Jalsa, cadenza starting with a short piece called Hijaz Shaytani (hijaz on G) to the words "ahu ya leil" (Arabic, o night) followed by a gradual descent to the tonic sung to the word "yar", ending the first part of the maqam. (3:02)
- First meyana called Segah Balaban (in rast mode) sung in high register to the words "ya dost" (Arabic-Persian, my friend) followed by a verse in the same mode. (3:39)
- Dulab in sharqi rast mode and a 4/4 wahda rhythm. (4:37)
- Second meyana called Khalili (chahargah mode) to the words "nazenine men" (Persian, my honey) followed by a fragment of a verse in the same mode. (5:00)
- A piece called Sharqi Rast (in sharqi rast mode) sung to the words "ya lali, ya lali, ya ya ya dayim" (Iraqi-Arabic, oh eternal one). (5:25)
- Instrumental piece in hijaz mode. (5:40)
- A piece called Mathnawi (hijaz mode) consisting of two sung verse followed by the command "aziz men" and a return to rast. (5:48)
- Taslim, conclusion of the maqam in rast mode, sung to the word "yar", gradually descending to the tonic by way of the Negriz. (6:53)