Yusuf Omar and al-Chalghi al-Baghdadi
1972, Baghdad, Iraq.
This basic maqam uses the ʻajam mode, transposition of the chahargah on B flat, which is sometimes called ʻAjam ʻUshayran in reference to its lower tonic B flat. Indeed, its peculiarity is to begin on the tonic and to end on the tonic an octave lower. It is performed without any rhythmic accompaniment, the measured introduction not being considered an integral part of the maqam. *
- Measured instrumental introduction.
- Improvised introduction on the santur, presenting the maqam. (0:38)
- Tahrir in ʻajam mode on the words "faryade men jenejanem". (1:08)
- Instrumental part on the joza picking up the tahrir melody. (1:37)
- Three verses representing the melody of the tahrir interspersed with improvised pieces on the santur and joza. (1:57)
- Cadenza jalsa proceeding by movements from B flat towards D then from G towards the lower B flat. (7:29)
- Meyana in bayat mode composed of three parts sung to the words "nazenine men", "jahane men", "ouh", and followed by a descent towards the tonic B flat on the words "umide man". (7:58)
- Piece "Saba" including two sung verses in saba mode announcing the return of ʻajam. (9:05)
- Final teslim, a descent from B flat to the one an octave lower.
- Peste, "Minnak ya l-Asmar" to the 10/16 djordjina rhythm. (next video)
Peste, "Minnak Ya l-Asmar" in 'ajam mode to the 10/16 djordjina rhythm. Composed by Salih al-Kuwaiti, lyrics by 'Abdul Karim al-'Allaf.
بسته "منك يا الاسمر" من نغم العجم و ايقاع الجورجينا ١٦/١٠ من الحان الموسيقار صالح عزرا الكويتي و كلمات عبد الكريم العلاف:
* Commentary by Scheherazade Qassim Hassan
Vocals: Yusuf Omar (d. 1987)
Santur: Abdallah Ali
Djoze: Shaoubi Ibrahim al-Aʻdhami (d. 1991)
Djoze: Hassan Ali al-Naqib (d. 1986)
Tabla: Abdul Razzaq Majid
Raqq: Kanʻan Mohammed Salih
Daff zinjari: Dhia' Mahmoud Ahmed
Choir: Ali al-Dabbou, Abdul Wahid Zaidan, Falih Jawhar, Abdul Qadir